APRIL POETRY NEWSLETTER TWO
ROBERT BROWNING
Browning was born in London in 1812.
Although he studied at the University of London he was as much self-taught as
formally educated and he dropped out of his studies after a year. His early
work included a long narrative poem called Sordello which to most
Victorians was completely impenetrable. Jane Carlyle famously read the
entire poem– nearly 6,000 lines – and insisted she did not know whether Sordello was a man, a city, or a book.
Browning also wrote verse dramas including
Pippa Passes which is the source of his unfortunate and innocent
use of the word ‘twat’ which he believed to be a word describing a nun’s wimple
rather than an obscene word for the vagina. Apparently, James Murray and the
other early editors of the OED enquired about the source of
the poet’s knowledge of this indelicate word, and Browning directed them to the
1660 poem Vanity of Vanities:
“They
talk’t of his having a Cardinalls Hat:
They’d send him as soon an Old Nuns Twat.”
They’d send him as soon an Old Nuns Twat.”
Poor man- you can see how it
happened.
In 1844 he read a volume of poems
written by a reclusive invalid named Elizabeth Barrett and wrote her a fan
letter. The two embarked on a celebrated courtship culminating in the couple eloping
and secretly marrying in 1846. They spent much of the next fifteen years living
in Italy, until Elizabeth Barrett Browning died in 1861. I always think
Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Browning would make fabulous material for a
Psychoanalytical conference as Browning stayed at home until he was 30 and his
poems were published because his parents financed the publication.
He and Barret
Browning must have had some fascinating parental issues.
It wasn’t until the 1860s that Browning
achieved widespread popularity and acclaim.
Three random and curious facts-
There is a town in Kentucky
called Pippa Passes.
There is a possibility that
Browning was of dual heritage. Browning's
paternal grandmother, Margaret Tittle, who had inherited a sugar plantation in
St Kitts, was rumoured (within the family) to have an African Caribbean
heritage.
Oscar Wilde famously said of him that
"Meredith was a prose Browning, and so was Browning" although in fact
he greatly admired his work but felt it
was fiction -just not poetry.
METRE ETC
‘How They Brought the Good News from Ghent to
Aix’ is in the anapaestic metre – that is, two light stresses followed by a
heavy stress. As an example ‘As I sat with his head ’twixt my knees on the
ground’, the heavy stresses fall on ‘sat’, ‘head’, ‘knees’, and ‘ground’: ‘As
I sat with his head ’twixt my knees on
the ground’. This anapaestic metre – more pedantically, anapaestic
tetrameter – works effectively to convey the frantic speed of the ride.
In 1889, it became the first poem
(spoken by the author) to be recorded on a phonograph, when Browning recited
words from the poem into an Edison phonograph at a dinner party. Unfortunately,
as we discovered when Paul played it he forgot the words to his own poem and
was reduced to shouting his own name into the cylinder.
The film about an overland horse
race is called Hidalgo (Spanish for gentleman). I know little of horses,
but in the film he does seem significantly disapproving and self righteous as
might befit a Spanish aristocrat.
Below is a parody written by R. J.Sellar and Walter C. Yeatman who
wrote Ten Sixty Six and All That – the Horrible Histories of our
day. I loved it when I was a child and thought people might enjoy this. If you have a tender nature and fear it may ruin the poem for
you please ignore. Personally I enjoy both, apart from the horse abuse.
How I brought
the good news from Aix to Ghent or Vice Versa
I sprang
to the rollocks and Jorrocks and me,
And I
galloped, you galloped, we galloped all three.
Not a
word to each other: we kept changing place,
Neck to
neck, back to front, ear to ear, face to face:
And we
yelled once or twice, when we heard a clock chime,
“Would
you kindly oblige us, is that the right time?”
As I
galloped, you galloped, he galloped, we galloped,
ye
galloped, they two shall have galloped: let us trot.
I
unsaddled the saddle, unbuckled the bit,
Unshackled
the bridle (the thing didn’t fit)
And
ungalloped, ungalloped, ungalloped, ungalloped a bit.
Then I
cast off my buff coat, let my bowler hat fall,
Took off
both my boots and my trousers and all –
Drank off
my stirrup-cup, felt a bit tight,
And
unbridled the saddle: it still wasn’t right.
Then all
I remember is, things reeling round,
As I sat
with my head ‘twixt my ears on the ground –
For
imagine my shame when they asked what I meant
And I had
to confess that I’d been, gone and went
And
forgotten the news I was bringing to Ghent,
Though
I’d galloped and galloped and galloped and galloped and galloped
And
galloped and galloped and galloped. (Had I not would have been galloped?)
ENVOI
So I
sprang to a taxi and shouted “To Aix!”
And he
blew on his horn and he threw off his brakes.
And all
the way back till my money was spent
We
rattled and rattled and rattled and rattled and rattled and rattled and rattled
–
And
eventually sent a telegram.
EXTRA
POEM
Bright
star, would I were stedfast as thou art—
Not in
lone splendour hung aloft the night
And
watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like
nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The
moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure
ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing
on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow
upon the mountains and the moors—
No—yet
still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd
upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel
for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for
ever in a sweet unrest,
Still,
still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so
live ever—or else swoon to death.
The sonnet John Keats revised as
he waited for the ship to sail for Italy.
FINALLY
Poem Programme for the next weeks
–
April 22nd. Angie
April 29th. Elizabeth
May 6th. Damien
May 13th. Liz
Ann has chosen the poem for April
15th.
Best Wishes
Elizabeth

Comments
Post a Comment