POETRY NEWSLETTER BLOG JULY 20th 2020


ELLA WHEELER WILCOX
Barbara has sent a biography. Unfortunately, I am not able to follow the link, so I saved the document and will send it as an email attachment when I email people.
Barbara says:
“I chose this poem from a book compiled by Ben Okri called 'Rise Like Lions. Poetry for the many.'
This link has Ben Okri talking about the Poetry in this book.”

I  also found a short biography ( which has some rather entertaining pictures) below.

It mentions her husband Robert and records that he was a “silver saleman”. He was also the owner of a truly magnificent moustache which is worth viewing in these days when entertainment is hard to come by.

I also found a curious article from The Occult Review written by a woman who knew her, Isabel Ramsey, in 1919, which describes Ella’s successful attempt to finally contact Robert by Ouija board.

EXTRA POEM
I have chosen a poem by Emily Dickinson- partly because I was thinking of her line “I dwell in possibility” when I was reading about Ella Wheeler Wilcox and brooding on the fetters that can bind potential poetry writers – not academic enough, not old enough, not proper English, not clever enough, not literary enough…..the list can continue on for ever. 
Also I thought that everyone could probably do with some passion and wildness.

WILD NIGHTS! WILD NIGHTS
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

Futile - the winds -
To a Heart in port -
Done with the Compass -
Done with the Chart!

Rowing in Eden -
Ah - the Sea!
Might I but moor - tonight -
In thee!


Emily Dickinson


FINALLY
   I am sending my apologies for the next meeting on July 23rd 2020. The poem is going to be chosen by Damien. Liz and then Paul will follow in the next weeks. Feel free to send me questions if I may be of help.
Best Wishes, Elizabeth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LEGEND

THE DESERTED VILLAGE

SLIGHTLY DELAYED POETRY NEWSLETTER FOR JANUARY 25/26TH 2021 PART ONE