MORE WOMEN POETS
SAPPHO
THE IDEALISED PORTRAIT
THE FRAGMENTED REALITY
Sappho was born on the Greek island of Lesbos and was the first celebrated female poet, possibly even the first poet to write and perform poetry. She was born in c. 630 – and died in c. 570 BC. In her own time she was considered to be one of the great lyric poets. Lyric here has a very precise meaning- she sang her poetry accompanying herself on the lyre. Her poetry only exists now in fragments, except for an Ode to Aphrodite which is complete. Contemporary scholars comment on her elegies and the poems that she wrote in iambic verse but none have survived.
Below is a link to her Wikipedia entry.
The British Library also has some material on Sappho.
Even if perusing Greek fragments doesn't make your heart sing, I recommend the British Library Blogs as they are illustrated by some beautiful Medieval paintings.
Below is a poem I am very fond of as the mother of a daughter. I salute its tenderness and immediacy. It is almost certainly a "patchwork" of fragments but they are sown together very skilfully.
CLEIS
Sleep, darling
I have a small
daughter called
Cleis, who is
like a golden
flower
I wouldn't
take all Croesus'
kingdom with love
thrown in, for her
Don't ask me what to wear
I have no embroidered
headband from Sardis to
give you, Cleis, such as
I wore
and my mother
always said that in her
day a purple ribbon
looped in the hair was thought
to be high style indeed
but we were dark:
a girl
whose hair is yellower than
torchlight should wear no
headdress but fresh flowers
SAPPHO
Comments
Post a Comment